Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Missionary Work

Brian has always been a great example of sharing the gospel with others. Since we've been married, he's come home and told me stories of how he's been able to share the gospel with people in his classes, people he works with, his professors, and even total strangers. I've never been ashamed of being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and truly do strive to share the gospel with those I meet, but somehow I never have experiences like he does.

Lately, I was reflecting on this and started to feel bad that since moving to Oklahoma City, I haven't shared the gospel with anybody. I don't know any of my neighbors and the only people I know outside of church are my kids' pediatricians. I wanted to do my part and felt like I have a strong testimony to share, but I didn't see any opportunities.

One night, I attended a Relief Society activity where our stake president was speaking. I don't really remember what was said, but I'll always remember what the Spirit taught me. It hit me that being a mom is the greatest missionary work I could ever do. I may not have the opportunity to talk to people about the gospel, but I can do things that will help my kids develop their testimonies, one step at a time.

A few things I do right now is 
  • show Chyler pictures of the Savior and have taught her to say "Jesus."
  • sing Chyler and Jackson primary songs.
  • play hymns throughout the day on Sunday.
  • say family prayer with the kids every morning and evening.
  • include Chyler in Family Home Evening.
They might be small, but I know have a strong testimony that these small things will make a big difference.

5 comments:

Bethany said...

I love this thought. Thanks for sharing!

Debbie said...

You are a sweet Mom. I loved reading this post!

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing that Kyla! I feel the same way sometimes and it is nice to be reminded that I am being a missionary by teaching my children the gospel.

Unknown said...

When you move into your new house you can invite your neighbors over for Family Home Evening!

Brittany Lewis said...

I love the reminder that teaching our kids is the most important missionary work we can do. I think you are doing a great job!