Sunday, October 25, 2009

My First Post

Hello! Kyla is always blogging and I thought I would give it a try. I think this week has been somewhat exciting so I wanted to share.

This next year will be very busy and fun for our family. Kyla is finishing up her masters degree this December and I will be graduating from OSU with a degree in accounting. I have been looking for a graduate program to go to and one of them is at the University of Arkansas. They have a really good supply chain mangement program and they're in Wal-mart's, Tyson's and JB Hunt's backyards. An opportunity came up to go out there this last Friday. I took advantage of the situation and scheduled multiple interviews.

I met with three people over the day and all three were exciting. I first met with a real estate agent. I just wanted to gain a little greater education on the process. If we move out there buying a house would be an option and I wanted to know more about it.

The second person was with an accountant recruitment agency. I had to take a few tests and had an interview, but I also learned more about the market and enjoyed seeing my education at OSU paying off. The accounting field is still very active despite the down market. My favorite quote is "Even if the company goes bankrupt, you have to have an accountant to take care of the bankruptcy." I feel good about the job opportunities out there.

The last thing I did was go to a University of Arkansas recruitment dinner. I met with the directors of the MBA and MACC (Accounting) programs and was able to ask a few questions. I am still not sure which program would be best, but both have advantages and disadvantages. Their programs are very impressive and they line their classes up with what the big companies out there want, so it would be easy to get a job afterward. Kyla and I will have to make it a matter of prayer. I am just grateful that I have to choose between two good things and that I have a choice.

When I got back to Stillwater, I was very tired but happy that I had went. Next time, Kyla and I will both go out together. Well that was my week. I hope this post is exciting enough. Kyla was very concerned that it would not be very interesting. Well I don't know when I will post again, but now I can say that I have blogged.

5 comments:

Dina said...

WooHoo! Congrats Brian! That's very exciting! I hope it all goes well for you guys!

And way to go Kyla with the quarters! I wanted to collect all of them too, but I stopped after having like 5-10 :)

Aubrey said...

Yay for all the exciting prospects! It's so exciting to be graduating and taking that next step in life! Good luck!

Megan Lewis said...

Wow Brian, you are at such an exciting point. I know you will make a good choice whatever it is. Btw, I am impressed you blogged. I can't get scott to touch it. What is the secret?

sharon said...

It has always been your way to be prepared. That is a very good quality to have! Good job Brian!! Kyla is lucky to have you and you her.
and by the way.....you did a good job blogging!

skywalkerjel said...

Yep Kyla was right......it was boring...... ;) Miss ya Tree

Longenecker