When we first got up to campus, they took me over to the Health Clinic to get blood drawn (for me, not Chyler). We then went back to the clinic where they sat Chyler in a car seat situated in front of a computer screen. They first put little monitors on her tummy and chest to track her heart rate while she watched different faces going across the screen. She actually started to fall asleep during this, so we had to do it twice. (And I was worried she'd be fussy :) Next, they played a recording of babies crying while they continued to monitor Chyler's heart rate. Unfortunately for them and for my picture taking, their EEG machine wasn't working, so they weren't able to hook Chyler up in the funny looking cap. The visit wasn't quite over though. I had to give them a milk sample and fill out a ton of surveys. I also had to take home a scale and weigh Chyler before and after each feeding for 24 hours. And the last thing is that I have to fill out a survey online about foods I've eaten over the past 12 months. I really participated in the study because I wanted to help out another fellow graduate student, but Chyler actually earned $40 for participating! Wa hoo! More diapers! Just kidding. If she were only older, I would have given her a treat though.
This is a longitudinal study, so we'll be going back at 6 months and 9 months. Hopefully then I can get a picture of Chyler in the funny cap. Until then, this picture will have to do.
No, I do not take my child out in public without a shirt on.
They had to take her shirt off to put the little monitors on.
They had to take her shirt off to put the little monitors on.

No comments:
Post a Comment