Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Crazy Month of May

Even since the beginning of the year, Brian has casually been looking for another job in Oklahoma City. We knew that with a master's degree and being well on his way to earning his CPA that there were greater job opportunities available than with the state. In April, he had an interview with Stillwater National Bank as a credit analyst here in Oklahoma City. Later at the end of the month, he found a financial analyst job available in Colorado Springs, CO.

(For those who may not know, Brian and I love Colorado and have been planning to move there.. one day. We entertained the idea when last year, but with our circumstances at the time, we figured Colorado would be in our 5-7 year plan. So we decided to settle down and grow some roots here in Oklahoma City. Hence, our decision to build a house.)

Ok, so back to the story. When Brian first told me about the job in Colorado Springs, I clearly said "no." The closing date on our house was less than one month away. It was so close, I could almost taste it. I hated our current apartment and dreamed of the day we could move out. So, of course, I wanted to stick to our current plan of moving to Colorado in 5-7 years. I told Brian I didn't mind if he applied to the job, but I made my position known that I wanted to stay.

Over the next few weeks, long conversations, some things changing, Brian interviewing for a few more jobs in Oklahoma, Brian advancing in the interview process in Colorado Springs, and finding out we could move back the closing date on the house, our plans changed and we decided to entertain the possibility of moving to Colorado. We delayed the closing date on our house by one month and arranged for a trip to Colorado Springs so Brian could have a final interview. Before we knew it, we dropped Chyler off at Grandma Tree's house and headed to Colorado.

 Don't be jealous, but we drove by Oklahoma's tallest mountain.... er uh plateau

Although it was a short visit and we were mainly there for Brian to interview, we were able to enjoy seeing sights from Brian's mission. (He served in the Colorado Colorado Springs Mission.) We visited the mission house, the mission president's home, favorite places that missionaries would eat at, Pikes Peak, the places he tracted, apartments he lived in, and more.

Brian with the infamously delicious breakfast burritos from Monica's

Brian and Jackson at Porky's


 Pikes Peak
 
This little guy was so good on the trip. He had a little trouble falling asleep for naps and the last hour of the trip was tough, but overall he was a doll.

After we got back from Colorado, we played the waiting game. And then gradually, we started hearing back from companies. Brian was offered the job as a credit analyst at Stillwater National Bank! The pay was better than we expected and Brian was excited about the work. We heard back from a few others, but we crossed them out keeping the bank job as our #1 so far. After a few more weeks, Colorado finally called. The told us that the position came down to Brian and another guy. The other guy had a few years of job specific experience, but Brian had a master's degree and was on his way to getting his CPA. They finally decided to hire the other guy for the position, but since they liked Brian so much, they called every department and asked if anyone needed a position filled. Nobody did at this time, but the guy said he'd email Brian when one came available in the future (whether that would be in one month, or next year). 

Brian and I weighed our options and decided to accept the Stillwater National Bank position, close on the house, and continue to grow roots here in OKC. We're so grateful for future opportunities in CO, but that's exactly what they are... future.

May was a roller coaster of emotions for our family (mostly me) and I'm so glad to move forward with making plans again. I'm a plan person and being stagnant for a whole month drove me crazy. Things are back on track though and we're closing on our house in less than one week. I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Very exciting Kyla! I'm excited to see pictures of your new house!