Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Homeowners!

After a long time coming, we are officially homeowners!


Last September, Brian and I decided to make roots in Oklahoma and start looking at houses. We started by looking at houses online, visiting our favorites, looking at more houses online, visiting some more, looking online again, finding one house we liked, talking about it together, vistiting the house we liked again, talking about it some more, making a bid on one we liked, and then being outbid. We devastatingly started the housing process all over again by looking at more houses online and visiting a few more. After finding nothing we liked and being crunched for time because baby Jackson was due soon, we finally decided to have the company that built the house we liked (the one we were outbid on) build us a home! During the 6 months it was being built, we loved making trips down to the house and keeping up with how it was coming along. As May 15th neared, our excitement grew and I started buying a few things and making plans. Less than 2 weeks before our closing date, Brian and I decided to put our plans on hold (see previous post titled "Crazy Month of May") while we explored other opportunities. Within a few weeks, we got back on track and rescheduled our closing date for June 19th. It was a grueling 9 months! I am so grateful the decision making and waiting roller coaster ride is finally done.

I have to say this was probably one of the least stressful moves I've ever done (I'm not part of a military family, but since graduating from high school 8 years ago, I've moved 15 times). Starting right after we closed, I started moving boxes to the house, unpacking, organizing, and then starting all over again the next day. By Saturday when we rented a moving truck, I already had a jump start on moving in, which was so nice! Things are still a little scattered and unorganized, furniture is being moved here and there, we're planning on getting a few things (e.g., a bed for Chyler!), but I am so excited to finally be out of our small, cramped apartment and to start decorating.

Don't our cars look so good in the driveway!

 
Our greeting sign!
"Home" never sounded so good!

Whenever I was younger, I made an unofficial list in my head of what it means to be an adult. It required 5 things:

1) Be done with college
2) Hold a job (or your spouse hold a job)
3) Be married
4) Have a least one child
5) Have a house

Pathetic, right? I totally know that none of these things qualify you as being an adult, however, in my mind, that's what it was. Now that we've bought a house, I have finally crossed off all 5 requirements from the list. That's right- I'm now an adult (according to my childhood's eyes anyway).

All I have to say is "oh boy."

3 comments:

Julie said...

Your home looks beautiful! Congratulations on being homeowners. It is such a great feeling. So happy for you!

Brittany Lewis said...

oh my gosh, i am so excited for you!! hope you are loving having your very own home. you guys deserve it!

Kendra | Our Homemade Happiness said...

Congrats on your new house! It's so cute!