Saturday, January 3, 2009
Internship Fiasco
I realized a lot of people might be thinking, "I didn't know Kyla was going to be in Oklahoma for two months." Well, two and a half weeks ago, I didn't either. During finals week, I got an e-mail from my internship coordinator telling me that my internship in Provo fell through. (That’s just what you want to hear at the end of the semester.) Surprisingly though, I didn’t freak out. My internship coordinator suggested a few options. I wasn’t crazy about any of them though, so I decided to see what I could do. The next day, I called a couple of places and found two speech-language-pathologists (SLPs), one in Oklahoma and one in Utah, that agreed to take me on as an intern. Now, this may not sound very significant, but it is. Last year, I called about a bazillion places trying to find an internship during the summer and I had zero luck! So, for me to find two internships in one day is a big deal. Now, it might seem obvious which internship I was going to pick. My apartment, my job, my car, and just about everything else was in Utah. But just for kicks, I decided to intern in Oklahoma. Ok, well maybe not just for kicks. While I was still in Utah, I pondered, fasted, prayed, and went to the temple while trying to make my decision. When it came right down to it, I just felt really good about going to Oklahoma. So, I decided to go for it. I talked to my internship coordinator, collected contact information, got the contract signed, and then I waited. It was up to my internship coordinator to handle the rest. Thankfully, I heard back yesterday that things were set and I was ready to go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
I'm sad you're still in Oklahoma, but I'm glad that's where you think you should be. I hope you have a great time and I can't wait until you're back :) P.s. I'm so glad you started a blog, yay!
Hey Girl,
I am so glad things worked out for you! I can imagine how stressful that could have been. Someones watching out for you!!
Woah that's a scary situation! No one wants an internship to fall through! Where were you going to be doing it originally?
Where at in Oklahoma? Are you going to be close to home? That would be nice.
I was originally going to do an internship at Utah Valley Speciality Hospital. It's a relatively new place in Riverwoods.
And, yes I am lucky enough to be close to home. I have to drive about 50 minutes everyday, but it's not too bad. Plus, I have friends in the city it's in and I can stay with them every now and then.
Yay! You have a blog! We'll definitely be checking up on you now :) Good luck with the internship in Oklahoma.
I'm still waiting for a phone call. ;-) I'm really glad you are back home, here in Oklahoma. Can't wait to play that game of pool!
Yay Kyla! I am so glad you were able to work things out! Good luck and have fun! I am going to miss you like crazy! :)
Wow! That is crazy! I'm glad you have a blog now so I can keep up with!
hey kyla! i just found your blog and i love it! i didn't realize you were so close to finishing your GRADUATE degree!? aren't we the same age? i'm still trying to get my undergrad! ha
woohoo oklahoma and a blog what a shocker for me to find this evening!
Love to keep up with you babe!
MUAH - Jill
Post a Comment