Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tornadoes!


I had the rare opportunity to crowd into the public library's bathroom TWICE this afternnoon with about 30 other people. Why, you ask? Well, being in the great state of Oklahoma comes with a territory. And that means... dun dun dun... tornadoes. Thankfully, the storms passed and everything turned out fine.

Since many of you who read this blog don't know much about tornadoes, I thought I'd take a minute to answer some common questions.

1) What's the different between a tornado watch and a tornado warning?
A tornado watch means that conditions are favorable for the development of tornadoes in and close to the watch area. A tornado warning means that a tornado has been sighted by storm spotters or has been indicated by radar.

2) When is tornado season?
This depends on the area or state. In Oklahoma, a tornado can pretty much occur year round. However, prime conditions begin around late March and go through August.

3) What are some basic safety rules?
  • If you're in your car, get out immediately. Never try to outrun a tornado. Your car or pickup will offer no protection from a tornado. Next, find a ditch, ravine or low-lying area, and lie as flat as you can. Stay away from overpasses and bridges.
  • If you're in a motor home, get out. This offers no protection.
  • If you're in a house, get in a basement, cellar, or tornado shelter. If the house doesn't have any, get to the center of the house, a room with no windows, a bathroom, or a closet.

4) Some Interesting Tornado Facts

  • Oklahoma City has more tornado strikes than any other city in the United States.
  • About 800-1200 tornadoes occur in the U.S. each year, although most occur in uninhabited areas.
  • Tornadoes kill about 90 people each year in the United States and are the most destructive of any local atmospheric disturbance. (Sadly, 8 people died today.)

6 comments:

Suzy said...

WOW you were IN A TORNADO!!!!! And you survived Kyla!!! soooooo cool. how close was this nice comfy little bathroom to the actual funnel cloud? :) ps good thing it wasn't a bathroom in Egypt because those are disGUSting and you would have died because you were all crammed in there, it definitely wouldn't have saved you. more like driven you to your death.

Kyla Lewis said...

Well, I actually wasn't in a tornado. I was just close by. Thank goodness!

Renny said...

Scary Scary! I don't think I could handle tornados, or alligators (Not that you have alligators in OK). I may have to live in AZ my whole life where we only have monsoons. I like water. That I can handle.

Dina said...

OK, so I totally love tornado season! I LOVE all the storms. Some may think I am crazy, but I can't help it....This only made me miss Oklahoma more!

Megan Lewis said...

Wow, that was very informative. I realize now that some of my reactions would have played me false. Your life is very adventurous. Also, that picture of you on the side bar features the EXACT same babushka doll that I own! That is just crazy.

Jodi Gallagher said...

Kyla I'm so excited you have a blog! I really miss your family! Looks like your doing good and enjoying the nursing home. Hope you have a great time in OK and I hope there are no more tornados while your there!