Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Apple Date

This week was Brian's Spring Break and even though we had only been apart one week, he came and visited me!!


He arrived last Friday and then had to go back today. Instead of posting everything that we did, I'll just tell about one night's adventures.

First, a little background history. Back in January, I planned a date for Brian and I. I wanted to keep the date a surprise/secret though, so the only hint I gave Brian was "Do you like apples?" This drove him nuts! He tried thinking of anything and everything that could be done with apples. Needless to say, he was pretty excited when Saturday came around so he could finally find out what we were doing. However, at the last minute, I decided to change our plans and do something completely different. Brian begged to know what the apple date consisted of, but I told him I couldn't tell him anything because we'd do it later. Well, "later" finally happened last Friday night. My good friends, Katie & Crystal decided it would be fun to go on a triple date, so we went with my apple idea.

Here's what we did:

1) Johnny Appleseed Picture Find (there are 15 objects)
http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/apples.htm


2) Riddle:
As I went out to view the sky,
I saw a man without any eyes,
He saw a tree with apples on,
He picked no apples off but he left on apples on.

Hint: Think "plural"


3) Fill in the apple phrases

"__" is for Apple.
An apple _ __ keeps the __ away.
The apple of my ___.
Comparing apples and ___.
The "__ Apple" (Place)
Don't ___ the apple cart.
One bad apple ___ the whole barrel.
___ as apple pie
Rotten to the ___.
The apple never ___ far from the ___.


4) Eat an apple off a string (It's harder than it looks!)

Kyla


Katie


Jesse


Crystal


Brian


Here's a video of Katie & Crystal:


5) We played "Apples to Apples"


6) Each couple made/brought apple treats. I made an apple cider recipe that was delicious. Here's the recipe:

8 cups apple cider or apple juice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
6 inches stick cinnamon
1 teaspoon whole allspice
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon shredded orange peel (can add a little frozen orange juice concentrate)
8 thin orange wedges (optional)
8 whole cloves (optional)

In a large saucepan combine cider and sugar. For spice bag, place cinnamon, allspice, the 1 tsp cloves, and the orange peel in center of a double-thick, 6-inch square of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. (You can also use coffee filters and tie them with unflavored floss) Tie closed with a clean string. Add spice bag to the saucepan with cider mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, if desired, stud orange wedges with cloves. Remove spice bag and discard. Serve cider in mugs. If desired, garnish with clove-studded orange wedges.

8 comments:

Dina said...

Wow! That looks like a lot of fun! Way to go Kyla!

Suzy said...

Looks like fun! I'm logging it away for future date ideas. :) Way to be creative! ps what if I don't have a cheesecloth

Cassie & Nick said...

Oh my goodness! You should be a professional date planner! So cute!

Dawn and Bryan said...

Man you are creative! Ha ha.

Heather said...

Kyla, this is totally the speech therapist coming out in you. It's all about the themed activities. I love it :)

Christine Armbruster said...

what! i want to meet him!
and i will be back 2nd part of summer. get ready.

Miranda Tate said...

no ma'am.. I ended up not coming.. the girls car we were supposed to be taking bailed the monday before we were supposed to be leaving. Not leaving Laura and I enough time to figure out an alternative.. So, I spent my spring break in stillwater :)

Kendra said...

What a fun idea! You're so creative!