Friday, December 17, 2010

Utah!

Last week, Chyler and I flew out to Utah to visit my brother Aaron, his wife Brittany, and their new baby Connor! It was just a short visit, but we had a great time.


Before we left, I was a bit nervous how Chyler and I would manage the airport and flight. Gratefully, everything turned out fine. At least, it eventually did. I ran into a few problems along the way, but thankfully I got them all resolved.

Problem #1: After we got through security and to our gate, Chyler was being fussy and didn't want to sit in her stroller anymore. I took her out to hold her, but then I had one less hand to use. Since you're not supposed to leave your bags alone, I had a problem. I had Chyler's diaper bag across my shoulder and Chyler in one arm. But, then I only had one hand left to carry her stroller and a carry-on. I needed to go to the bathroom to change Chyler's diaper before we took off. After trying some awkward ways to carry everything, I decided I couldn't do it and left her stroller at the gate alone. Thankfully, nobody wanted a baby strolled and it was still there when I got back.

Problem #2: I had brought frozen breastmilk and a bottle so I wouldn't have to nurse Chyler on the plane. I went to the bathroom to defrost the milk in the sink. The bathroom had automatic sinks though and the water wouldn't just run. I finally went to a restaurant in the airport and asked if they'd defrost the milk for me. Thankfully, I asked a mother of a 4 year old and she was very understanding.

Problem #3: After the milk was defrosted, I started to put the milk in the bottle when I realized I forgot one of the pieces of the bottle that helps reduce gas. At first, I didn't think this would be a problem. However, when I got on the plane and started feeding Chyler, I realized I was wrong. Without my knowledge, milk from the bottle was dripping all over Chyler. She wasn't making a fuss though because she was still getting milk in her mouth. By the time I did realized it, Chyler's pajamas were soaked! Thankfully, I had an extra pair of pajamas with me. The seat next to me was empty, so I had plentry of room to change her.

After I changed her pajamas, everything went pretty really well. I ended up just nursing her, which wasn't a big of a deal as I thought it might be. Chyler then slept like an angel and didn't seem to be affected by the air pressure changes at all.

We had a direct flight (thank goodness!) and Aaron was already at the baggage claim when we arrived. We went back to his apartment where we got to meet little Connor. What a cutie! Here are some pictures of Chyler and Connor we took.


My parents arrived the next day. Since they were staying at Aaron's apartment, Chyler and I stayed with my good friend Lindsey at night. We had a great time while we were in Provo and got to go up to BYU's campus, meet up with past roommates Jayrin and Rachelle, eat out at Zupas as a family, and spend time with family.

Family at Zupas

Thankfully, my parents, Chyler, and I flew home on the same flight. It was much nicer having someone to help me manerver around the airport. There was once again an empty seat next to me on the plane, which I appreciated. Chyler handled the ride fine and slept all but 5 minutes of the flight. I, on the other hand, didn't have such a good experience. I've always hated flying and always get a headache. This time was no different, except I also got nauseous. Thankfully, after some time on the ground and some medicine, I felt as good as new.

Since none of my siblings are coming home for Christmas this year, I was grateful to at least see Aaron and his family... and for them to see Chyler :)

2 comments:

Mike and Crystal said...

She does make that dress look SO cute! Glad you guys had a safe trip and got to spend time with family :)

Megan Lewis said...

oh my goodness I'm behind on checking blogs. I think it is so great that you got to meet up with your parents at Aaron's. It sounds like such a wonderful experience. And it sounds like you and Chyler were champs on the flight!