Thursday, August 18, 2011

Lewis Reunion

The first week in August, Chyler and I headed out to Utah with my parents and brother (Adam) for a Lewis Reunion! It was perfect timing too. While it was the hottest week in Oklahoma (around 112 F every day), the high in Brian Head, UT was 65 F.

(I have to start off by saying that Utah is a good 2 day drive from Oklahoma. Adam might differ, but I have to say Chyler handled the car ride quite well. There were moments of tears and struggle, but for the most part, she was content reading books, watching signing videos, playing with toys, and getting a few naps in.)

Here's my dad with Chyler letting her experience grass for the first time. (I can't put her in the grass in OK because of chiggers.) She took some time to warm up to it, but towards the end of the trip, she loved it!
Anyway, continuing on with our tip. We first drove to Provo and dropped off my Adam's stuff for college in the fall. When we arrived in Provo, we went to my other brother's (Aaron) apartment that night and enjoyed some delicious dinner. Here's a picture of Chyler playing with her cousin, Connor. I'm so glad she has cousins close to her age. These two are just 4 months apart.

Connor would take blocks out out of the
bin while Chyler kept putting them back
(I think she may have inherited some of my organization skills)
The next day, we went up to BYU's campus for awhile and I was fortunate to meet up with one of my past roommates, Jayrin. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera, so no picture! I was also lucky enough to randomly run into another past roommate while waiting outside the WILK. It was so good to see you Suzy! (Sadly, no picture on this one either)

We later drove down to Brian Head and found our cabin we were staying in for the week. The whole family (minus my brother Scott, his wife Megan, their son Blake, and my husband Brian) were able to attend. We were fortunate to all stay in the same cabin and all get our own room. (Thanks Mom and Dad!)

The next day the reunion was in full swing. To start, they took a picture of each person that was present at the reunion to make the "Lewis Family Tree." Each leaf represents all the descendants of my Grandma and Grandpa Lewis. "All Because Two People Fell in Love!"

The next three days were filled with hiking, playing games, biking, going to Zion's National Park, eating, socializing, and more fun. Chyler and I didn't participate in all the activities due to nap schedules, the fact that I'm 5 months pregnant, Chyler is young, and Brian couldn't come on the trip. However, we had a great trip enjoying everyone's company and spending time with family.

Aaron and Connor before the big hike
(Chyler and I were actually fortunate not to participate on this one! It started raining and hailing soon after they started. Poor little kids!)

Connor, Brittany, and Aaron at the cabin

The boys enjoying some hot tubbing
(My dad, Aaron, & Adam)


The cutest little girl around

Chyler playing with cousins, second cousins, and cousins once removed

As I mentioned previously, one day of the reunion everybody headed down to Zion's National Park. We rode around a bus and viewed the sites, went on a few hikes, and toured a museum about the park. Here are a few pictures:

My dad graciously volunteered to carry Chyler during the hike so I wouldn't have to do it while being 5 months pregnant. Chyler & one of her favorite pals, Grandpa.
Some pretty scenery at Zion's

Adam, Mom, & Dad on a hike at Zion's
Dad, Chyler, Adam, & me hiking

Another activity that was part of the reunion was the Mountain Man Competition. This included throwing a hatchet, chopping wood, shooting guns, building a fire, and an activity where the kids used a squirt gun to put out a candle. (Can you tell they're from Wyoming? :)Here are some of the pictures that capture the events:

Dad throwing a hatchet at a target
Aaron chopping wood

Adam, Dad, & Aaron starting a fire

To end the evening and the reunion, we had a slideshow of pictures from the past few days. Then Grandma and Grandpa each spoke a little about family and their past. How I love these two people! They make me so proud to be a Lewis.

Grandma cutting the cake
"Happy 60th Wedding Anniversary!"

How lucky Chyler and I are to be apart of this family!
We love you Grandma & Grandpa!!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

What a fun reunion. Some great family-togetherness ideas. Your Dad seems so thoughtful!

Heather said...

I love family reunions. How neat for your grandparents- 60 years!! It's fun to hear about all the stuff you're doing. Wish we lived close by to hang out!

Megan Lewis said...

I am so behind in the blog world I can't believe I'm just now reading about the reunion. First, love the photos, esp the one of Chyler in her pink shirt. Second, what a fun trip!! We were so sad to miss it. We are looking forward to Christmas and meeting the new guy in your life.