Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Signing Baby

Since I was a teenager, I've always been fascinated by American Sign Language (ASL). In fact, it was what originally interested me in my study of speech-language pathology. During college, only one ASL class was required, but I wanted to gain a greater proficiency in it and ended up taking 5. Over the years, my skills have slipped a bit, but not my love for the language.

A few months ago, my mom brought home a baby sign language video that she found for a quarter at a garage sale. I played it for Chyler and ever since, her sign language vocabularly has taken off.

She now knows the following signs and uses them frequently:
frog, cat, dog, duck, hat, book, milk, star, bath, moon, dad, touchdown, toothbrush, light, sleep, shoe, ball, baby, love

She's still working on perfecting these signs:
water, please, juice, cookie

For your pleasure (and so I could capture her impressive skills), I took a video of her signing some words. She gets a little distracted by the clip in her hair, but you get the picture :)


6 comments:

The Mylers said...

That is really impressive. And wow-she is really growing up. Hadley hates bows in her hair also-the moment she discovers it, she will pull it out. I hope you two have a wonderful time talking together :)

Unknown said...

She cracks me up! I remember when I was there and she kept signing dog. What a cutie!

Jordan said...

So cute! That's awesome that you're teaching her signs.

Brittany Lewis said...

this is the cutest thing ever! i'm impressed!

Megan Lewis said...

That is so adorable! I also took 20 credit hours of sign Language and was looking forward to using it with my kids. I am sad to say that Blake is no longer enamored with signing. He just tries to say the word itself and doesn't get why that isn't enough. He's also decided that if he HAS to sign he may as well sign "please" and get whatever he wants. Stinker.

Kendra | Our Homemade Happiness said...

That's so cute! Good job mom and baby!