When I started the school year last August, I was working at three different schools. Then, at the end of November, I got a call from my boss saying she was going to switch my schools around. It was less than convenient, but I tried to make the best of the situation. Instead of a caseload of 35 kids, I now had a caseload of over 55 (13 being severely learning disabled). I was a bit overwhelmed, but I worked hard to get things caught up, stay with deadlines, and get things organized. After spending some early mornings and late nights at work, my principal pulled me aside the other day and said she really appreciated how hard I was working. Just trying to keep my head afloat, I said I was just trying to do my job. She continued by saying I was very conscientious and really "a breath of fresh air" compared to past speech language pathologist (SLPs). Being a first year SLP, I was excited to know that all the work I was putting in was appreciated and that I was doing a good job.
I'm not trying to brag in this post. It just made me realize the joys of compliments and how good they make people feel. I know after my principal complimented me, it made my day. When I came home, I was so excited to tell Brian. I'm going to try to do my best to compliment others. I know I often think someone did a good job teaching a lesson at church or someone looks really cute, but I rarely say something. How much joy I might bring someone by just saying "you did a really good job" or "I really like that top."
Sunday, February 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Great posts Kyla (three new ones - right)! I love the blog world because I can keep up with the people I like the most, like you!
I bet you are doing a wonderful job! Compliments really do make such a difference--and "thank yous" from the kiddos. Glad you're done with morning sickness, too!
I can imagine you are a great teacher. Caleb has speech classes and what a difference they make. I'm sure you are very appreciated by the parents too. I agree compliments can make someones day. I need to be better about giving them out too.
I am not surprised that they are impressed with you, if anyone could take on 55 kids, its you!
P.S. you're the cutest pregnant lady I've ever seen :)
I like your reminder to give compliments. Way to be positive! I'm not surprised you're doing a great job as a speech pathologist! :)
I think that's really true. Lately, I've been thinking I would just really like someone to notice the long nights I'm putting in just to keep my head above water or to say, "you're doing a good job." We've had a few recent IEPs with some pretty unappreciative parents, so that makes it hard.
Post a Comment