Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Christian Radio

Growing up, I listened to a variety of music on the radio- country, rock, oldies, and more. When Sundays rolled around, I turned the radio off and listened solely to music from LDS artists. I wanted to make Sundays different than the rest of the week and really concentrate on my Savior.

One summer while I was in college, I came home and was in the car with my younger brother, Adam. He had the radio on and turned it to a Christian radio station. I have to say I was a little surprised. I had never really listened to the typical Christian music on the radio before. As I sat there listening though, I realized I did enjoy the music and it wasn't vastly different from the religious music I was used to. That being said, my music habits didn't really change because I didn't have a car and rarely listened to the radio.

This past year while living in Stillwater, I was thumbing through the radio trying to find something I liked. I came across My Praise FM, a Christian radio station on 107.3, and decided to listen to it. Over the next few weeks, I found myself listening to it more and more. Not only was it filled with uplifting music that was upbeat and helped me keep my thoughts on the Savior, but they also aired "Focus on the Family" and other religious programs. It wasn't long before I was only listening to My Praise FM.

I'm not sure why I never chose to listen to the typical Christian radio music before. I think it was because I thought it would present different things that I believed. I have to say that since listening to My Praise FM though, I haven't come across any lyrics contrary to my beliefs. In fact, they've gone hand in hand. I still choose to only listen to music from LDS artists on Sundays because it's calmer, but my week is now filled with more uplifting music than before. I'm grateful for this change and the strength it's given me.

Here's a video of one of the songs I like:

1 comment:

Megan Lewis said...

I remember a friend asking me why I didn't listen to Christian radio when I was in HS and I didn't have a good response. I don't think they have a channel up north, so I think I'll have to discover it some other time. Glad you found a fun new station to enjoy.