On September 11, 2001, I first found out about the terrorist attacks at the end of my 1st hour. It was Tuesday and my day to drive in driver's ed. When we got back from driving, I walked back into the classroom and saw everybody watching the news on a little TV in a corner. As I sat down, I turned to my friend and asked what was going on. She gave me the update that an airplane had just flown into one of the World Trade Center Towers. I remember not really understanding what was going on. I hadn't heard of the World Trade Center and it was hard to imagine someone intentionally running an airplane into a building (make that 2).
As I went to my next class, my teacher said something interesting that I'll never forget. He mentioned that these attacks were symbolic in our day to JFK being shot in our parent's day. It's something we'll always remember and something our kids will read about in the history books. I went home that day, still not fully comprehending what had happened, but I made sure to write the events in my journal.
In honor of September 11, I just wanted to take a minute to post a few things:
I'm grateful for the firefighters and police officers who risked their lives that day.
I'm grateful for the men and women (and their families) who've fought and continue to fight overseas today.
And most of all, I'm grateful to live in a free country. I know the United States of America is a blessed land and I'm grateful to be a citizen.
I'm grateful for the firefighters and police officers who risked their lives that day.
I'm grateful for the men and women (and their families) who've fought and continue to fight overseas today.
And most of all, I'm grateful to live in a free country. I know the United States of America is a blessed land and I'm grateful to be a citizen.


2 comments:
I, too, remember being completely bewildered, why would someone intentionally fly a plane into a building? I just couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing. Lovely post.
I nearly did a 9/11 post, but didn't get to it. Thanks for sharing your memories and thoughts.
Post a Comment