Monday, April 19, 2010

Road Trip!

Brian served his mission in the Colorado Springs, Colorado Mission, which includes parts of Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. His favorite area of all was a city called Garden City, KS. Ironically, it's only 5 hours from the place Brian grew up and where we now live. Ever since Brian and I have dated, he's talked about this city and how he's wanted to take me there. Well, this last weekend, we finally decided to go!

We arrived Saturday afternoon and after checking into our hotel, Brian started taking me around to see some sights. We first went to a Chinese buffet, a place where Brian and his companion loved to go when they reached a goal they had set.


He also took me to the apartment where he used to live. Missionaries don't actually live in this apartment anymore, so we just took a picture of the apartment in case the current tenants were home.

As missionaries, they were encouraged to serve in the community. Brian and his companion spent a little time every week helping out at the city library.


We also visited some other sights before calling it a night. It was fun because as we were driving around, Brian would retell stories of memories that popped into his head.

The next day, we headed to church. As an outsider to the whole scene, this was the best part of the trip. It was exciting to see how members remembered Brian. Two families in the ward were even generous enough to invite us over after church to feed us and just catch up.
Here's a picture of Brian and I in front of the church
(Please ignore my crazy hair. It was a bit windy.)

It was a rushed weekend and we didn't get home until 10 p.m. last night, but we're so glad we went. Brian was totally in heaven. He couldn't help but say, "Kyla, I am so happy!" I'm so grateful that he was able to share a little bit of his mission with me.

This is totally a sidenote, but Brian said I should post about it anyway. In many ways, Kansas is very similar to Oklahoma. However, one thing I'm so grateful that Oklahoma does not have is this:
On our way to Garden City, we came across quite a few feed lots, a large amount of land with tons of cows packed in. We'll just say the smell was less than pleasant.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, I was hoping you were going to say you guys were road tripping it up to Vermont to see me!
It looks like it was a lot of fun though!

Mike and Crystal said...

I'm glad you guys had such a fun trip! It really is amazing to see where our husbands served and meet the people who knew them as missionaries. Sounds like you guys are keeping busy and doing lots of fun things!

Megan Lewis said...

How fun!! I'm glad you were able to get away, even if it was for a short time!

Aubrey said...

How fun - I want to see my husband's mission too. It just means so much to them and was such a period of growth for him. He served in New York so I'm sure we will make it eventually.