Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Big Bed!

Jackson has been sleeping in a port-crib since 3 months, and before that, a bassinet. We just didn't have room for anything bigger in our last apartment. We had been planning that once we moved, we'd switch Chyler to a bed and give Jackson her crib.

However, as the time neared for that to happen, Brian and I became increasingly worried that Chyler would struggle. She's been having such a hard time falling asleep at bedtime, always calling our names to come get her. Despite our worries though, we went for it.

In preparation, I told Chyler about the "big bed" days in advance. When I bought the comforter and sheets, I showed them to her and said, "This is for your big bed!" She LOVES our bed and I could just see the excitement on her face as I told her about getting one of her own.

So, last night after dinner, Brian set up her bed and I put the sheets and comforter on. She immediately loved it and quickly moved her stuffed animals from the crib to her bed. She then spent the next half hour just playing on it. When bed time came, we sat Chyler down and asked her if she wanted to sleep in the big bed, or the crib. Without any hesitation, she said "big bed!" We then explained that it's important she stays in the bed. If she gets out, we were going to put her back in the crib. With a very serious look on her face, it appeared she got the message. So we did her bedtime routine, turned out the lights, and closed the door.

And that's how she stayed. There was no crying, no yelling for Mommy and Daddy, no demanding that we open the door, nor the many other things she had been doing. We snuck in before we were going to sleep and took this picture.

What a big girl!

Too good to be true, right? Well, at nap time, I did the same routine. I asked her if she wanted to sleep in her bed or the crib. Again, she exclaimed "big bed!" I told her she needed to stay in her bed or I'd have to put her in the crib. I tucked her in and again, she fell right asleep!

Now, I am smart enough to know this might not last forever, but I am SOOOO proud of her for handling the change so well!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Wow that's amazing! I'll be praying for the same success when we make the move.

Brittany Lewis said...

Wow! What a big girl! What a relief that she has done so well with the change.

Kendra | Our Homemade Happiness said...

That's awesome!! It hasn't been as smooth a transition for Cameron. For the first couple of nights we could hear him playing with toys in the middle of the night. I have to sit in the room until he falls asleep. Otherwise, he gets out of bed and plays with toys. I shouldn't have been so hasty to get rid of the crib!