Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Vacation!

Q: So, what do you do when your to-do-list is pages long and getting longer every day?
A: Drop everything and go on vacation!

Our family has been planning on going to Wyoming and Utah this summer for quite a while. But, with Brian's job change, he wasn't able to take time off so soon after he started. So, once again my loving parents let me and the kids tag along with them!

Our trip was two weeks long and had it's fair share of traveling (5 full days in the car!). I was a little nervous how the kids would handle it and to be honest, how I'd handle them handling it. The kids, while not perfect, handled the car ride better than expected (and I like to think I did too). We did have to make pit stops every few hours for diaper changes, Jackson to eat, and Chyler to run around. The stops added a bit of time to our travel, but not too bad. I have to say the worst of our travels happened when the fan that cools the engine broke. We had to drive a few hours without the A/C and thank goodness it wasn't any longer!

Our first destination was Grandma and Grandpa's house (or, Great Grandma and Grandpa's house to Chyler & Jackson)! I hadn't been there since 2007, so it was nice to visit and bring my kids. My brother, Adam, and my other brother, Aaron, and his family were able to come for a few days as well. We enjoyed socializing, playing marbles and 7s (a card game), riding the four wheeler and tractor (too bad Chyler was too scared to join me), going out to eat, watching a few movies, and watching a movie my aunt made of my Grandma and Grandpa's lives. Chyler enjoyed playing with the water hose (a new discovery!), watching the sprinkler, picking up all Grandma's apples off the ground, and playing with her cousin, Connor. And of course, we loved spending time with Great Grandma and Grandpa. We hope to return soon!

Chyler & I with Grandma and Grandpa 
(Jackson must be sleeping)

 Momma & Jackson

Uncle Adam & Jackson on their way to church

 Playing marbles
Grandma & I vs. my dad & Grandpa
(Sadly, we lost!)

Grandpa & Jackson

 Playing in the water

Grandma showed her how to get a drink, 
but she took a little more liberty with her tongue!

Chyler washing Great Grandpa's hands

 The happiest little guy

Chyler & I on Grandpa's tractor

 View from Grandpa's farm
  
Petting Grandpa's dog
 
Our next destination was Utah! We had a family reunion for all the descendents of my great, great grandfather. While there were plenty of people I didn't know, there were quite a few that I did. A few of my mom's sisters and part of their families were able to attend. In addition to spending time with relatives while in Utah, we also went on BYU's campus, visited the health store in Provo, and hiked the trail that leads to Bridal Veil Falls. I was also able to catch up with a 3 good roommates from college, Lindsey H, Keilani S, and Jayrin F. They were all my bridesmaids in my wedding and I'm grateful that I was able to meet up with each one. While we were in Utah, we stayed with my brother, Aaron, and his family, Brittany, and Connor. Chyler loved the new surroundings and a constant buddy to play with.

My mom, on the left, and 3 of her sisters

Chyler & Connor playing in the rain at the reunion

I think this face is so funny. I can just imagine that she's thinking, 
"What's the big deal Mom. I'm just a little wet."

The crew after church:
My dad, my mom, Chyler, Jackson, me, Connor, Aaron, & Brittany

 Jackson & I with the "Y" in the background

Connor & Chyler at the park
Lately, Chyler has been scared to go down slides,
so she just watched Connor.

Connor with Grandma & Grandpa

Uncle Aaron so kindly offered to carry Jackson on our hike

 Bridal Veil Falls
I went to school in Provo for 5 years. 
In all that time, I never knew you could hike straight up to the falls.


It was a great two weeks! Somehow my "to do" list just got longer after we got back, but we're glad we got to go. We loved seeing family, especially Grandma & Grandpa, Aaron, Brittany, Connor, and Adam. And of course, a big thanks goes to my mom and dad for all their help during the trip!


No comments: